Seasonal Weather Tips
Winter Storm Safety
In the event of a severe storm impacting Long Island, customers are encouraged to follow these storm preparation recommendations to help ensure their family’s safety and comfort:
- Have a battery-powered radio or TV available;
- Have flashlights and extra batteries readily accessible for all family members;
- Have a supply of canned food with a manual can opener available;
- If you have an electric water pump, keep spare containers of water for cooking and washing;
- Keep a non-electronic phone in your home – phone lines often remain operational even during power outages;
- If you decide to use a standby generator, have it installed by a licensed electrician and never operate it inside your garage or home;
- If an outage occurs, disconnect appliances and sensitive electronic equipment to prevent any possible damage that could be caused by momentary power spike that could occur when service is restored.
- Make arrangements now for elderly and others with special needs such as those who depend on electrical life support.