Solar Hot Water Program
Solar Hot Water Rebate for Homeowners
Solar rebate information for residential customers.
- $20 per kBTU * (based on SRCC Collector Rating Sheet). Maximum rebate is $1500.
- Must be a residential electric customer located in LIPA service territory that currently has/had an electric hot water heating system installed for a minimum of 12 months prior to installation of the solar hot water system.
- System(s) orientation must be south, southwest or southeast only to be eligible for a rebate.
- Rebates are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
|1 Collector System (1 to 2 residents)|
$ 700 rebate per SHW system
35 kBtu capacity
|2 Collector System (2 to 4 residents)|
$ 1,280 rebate per SHW system
64 kBtu capacity
LIPA Solar Hot Water Rebate Form
- Solar Hot Water Rebate Form for Homeowners (PDF)
- Homeowner Rebate Assignment Form (PDF)
- Supplemental Rate Change Form (PDF)
Federal Tax Incentive
- 30% Residential Solar Investment Tax Credit (no cap) through Dec. 31, 2016
- Download the Federal Tax Credit Form (PDF)
New York State Incentives
- 25% Residential Tax Credit on net costs for a solar hot water system
- Maximum credit = $5,000 for qualified SHW equipment
- Sales tax FREE on solar hot water equipment purchases in New York State
- Download the NYS Tax Credit Form IT-255 (PDF)
- 1997 Income Tax Changes in Effect Tax Year 1998 or Later Tax Years TSB-M-97(4)I (PDF)
- Sales tax FREE on SHW equipment purchases in Nassau and Suffolk Counties
New York State Real Property Tax Law
- Real Property (RP-487) Exemption Description (PDF)
Real Property Tax Exemption Form RP-487 (PDF)
Please note, each county, city, town, village and school district on Long Island may choose to disallow the exemption as noted in NYS Office of Real Property Services Section 4.01 - RPTL Section 487.
* Maximum rebate capped @ $1500 or 50% of total installed cost, whichever is less.
**If you have an oil or gas powered hot water heater and are interested in solar hot water, you may qualify for New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) Rebate program
Call the Energy Efficiency Infoline at 1-800-692-2626.