Solar Pioneer Program
Solar Pioneer Customer Checklist
If you want to purchase a PV system, you are probably going to need a PV installer. You can check your local phone directory under Solar Energy Equipment or view prescreened contractor lists at www.liseia.org or www.sunshineisfree.org. It is always advisable to obtain several bids before making a selection.
Before You Purchase a PV System
- Shop around to compare prices before choosing a PV contractor. Compare system features, warranties and expected annual electrical output.
- Get 2 to 3 estimates from different contractors to compare pricing and PV systems.
- Ask each PV contractor for customer references. You can also check each contractor with your local Office of Consumer Affairs.
- Be sure your PV contractor provides you with a written contract that includes equipment pricing, installation costs, model numbers and warranty information. Make sure you know when to expect delivery and installation of your PV system.
- Understand your PV warranty and that you know who is responsible for honoring the warranty (installer, dealer, builder or manufacturer).
- Verify that PV system you receive matches the equipment listed on your contract.
- The PV contractor will assist you in obtaining all building permits and inspections. Your PV system must be inspected and approved by a licensed electrical inspector before it can operate.
- Ask your PV contractor to review maintenance and operation of your new system. Be sure the contractor reviews your PV manual with you prior to completion of the installation.
Receiving Your LIPA Rebate
Before a PV system can be installed, the PV contractor will help you complete and sign the rebate application, interconnection and rebate assignment forms, $100 application fee and all required documentation to LIPA for technical review and approvals. Solar Pioneer Program Rebates and Forms.
After LIPA pre-approves your completed application, the PV contractor will obtain the necessary PV system equipment and assist you with the next steps in the process to complete our system installation. When your electrical inspection is complete, please fax a copy of the electrical inspection certificate and itemized invoices to 516-545-6134 or mail to:
- LIPA Rebate Processing
25 Hub Drive
Melville, NY 11747
Upon receipt, LIPA will the conduct a functional test of your PV system, set the appropriate net meter and process your rebate.
Call the Energy Efficiency Infoline at 1-800-692-2626.