Appliances & Products
ENERGY STAR® Room Air Conditioners
Current Mail-in Rebate: $40.00 - 75.00
Beat the heat, and cost, of summer with ENERGY STAR® certified room air conditioners (A/C) that are 10% more efficient than conventional models. LIPA now offers a mail-in rebate of up to $75.00 on your purchase.
Have an old a/c? We'll give you $20 to pick up & recycle it. Learn more
Advantages of ENERGY STAR® Certified Room Air Conditioners
Room air conditioners remove both heat and humidity from a room. ENERGY STAR certified room air conditioners have high efficiency compressors and fan motors, and utilize advanced heat transfer technologies that make them use 10% less energy than conventional models. Many ENERGY STAR certified room air conditioners also come with advanced features such as timers, remote controls, digital displays, and directional vents, making them energy efficient and more convenient to operate.
- By replacing a conventional model with an ENERGY STAR certified room A/C, you can save an average of $50 in energy costs over the life of the unit.
- ENERGY STAR certified room air conditioners save energy, save money, and help protect the environment.
- These small size models are perfect for an apartment, home office or bedroom and can help localize cooling to rooms that need it most, helping to reduce the need for continual central air conditioning during the summer months.
- 5,000 - 6,000 BTUs – $40 mail-in rebate
- 6,001 - 8,000 BTUs – $50 mail-in rebate
- 8,001 - 14,000 BTUs – $75 mail-in rebate
- To locate an ENERGY STAR certified Room Air Conditioner visit the ENERGY STAR website to view a list of products.
- Purchases must be made between 1/1/13 - 12/31/13
- Rebate for residential customers only (must be on a LIPA residential rate)
- Limit 3 rebates per LIPA residential electric customer account.
- Room Air Conditioners must be certified ENERGY STAR Room Air Conditioners
- Download a list of participating retailers (PDF)
- Download, complete and submit mail-in rebate application form (PDF)
When Shopping Remember...Bigger Isn't Always Cooler
It is important to choose the right size when shopping for a room air conditioner.
Units that are too large may not be able to properly remove the humidity from a room, making it feel clammy and uncomfortable. The best way to determine the right size is to refer to the chart below.
To determine the area to be cooled, simply multiply the length of the room by the width of the room.. This will give you the room’s square footage. Then refer to the chart above to determine the BTU size room air conditioner you will need. For example, a 10’ by 10’ room is 100 square feet, so it would require a 5000 BTU unit.
If any of the following apply, you can make adjustments on the BTU size:
- If the room is heavily shaded, reduce the square footage by 10%
- If the room is very sunny, increase the square footage by 10%
- If more than two people regularly occupy the room, add 600 BTUs for each additional person
- If the unit is used in a kitchen, increase the capacity needed by 4,000 BTUs
Consider where you install the unit; if you are mounting an air conditioner near the corner of a room, look for a unit that can send the airflow in the right direction.
Regular maintenance will insure that your AC operates efficiently throughout the summer. Check the filter once a month. Also check your owner’s guide to find out how to safely clean the condenser coils and fins on the outside of the unit. Read more tips