Powering Long Island
enXco Eastern Long Island Solar Project
The Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) has entered into a power purchase agreement (PPA) with enXco, an affiliate of EDF Energies Nouvelle (formerly SIIF Energies) a leader in renewable energy, to purchase up to 17.00 megawatts (MW) Alternating Current (AC) of solar energy from solar photovoltaic (PV) facilities to be constructed on public properties in Suffolk County, Long Island.
The solar facilities will be interconnected to LIPA’s electric distribution grid and the energy produced by enXco will be purchased by LIPA. The solar PV systems will be installed on newly built carports within existing parking lots of the County-owned properties.
- The Solar Carport Project is among the largest installations in the nation
- Over 60,000 solar modules are expected to be installed at parking lots across Suffolk County.
- Expected to provide up to 17 MW’s of solar power, enough to power 1,850 homes.
Details of the Seven Project Sites
- H. Lee Dennison Building, Hauppauge.
1.75 MW solar power generated. 7,737 solar modules on 24 solar arrays.
- North County Complex, Hauppauge
0.5 MW generated. 3,431 solar modules on 9 arrays.
- Cohalan Court Complex, Central Islip
3.5 MW generated. 15,113 solar modules on 27 arrays.
- Riverhead County Center, Riverside
3 MW generated. 11,536 solar modules on 31 arrays.
- Brentwood LIRR Parking Lot
1 MW solar generated. 3,924 solar modules on 11 arrays.
- Deer Park LIRR Parking Lot
2.25 MW solar generated. 3,924 solar modules on 39 arrays.
- Ronkonkoma LIRR Parking Lot (south)
5 MW solar generated. 20,110 solar modules on 44 arrays.
- Oct 21, 2011 - LIPA, Suffolk County and enXco Spotlight Hauppauge Solar Carport Project
- Dec 2, 2010 - GOVERNOR PATERSON AND LOCAL STAKEHOLDERS BREAK GROUND ON “POWER LOTS” PROJECT
- Jan 21, 2010 - Suffolk Executive Steve Levy, LIPA President and CEO Kevin Law Unveil Proposal to Turn Parking Lots into “Power Lots”
- Dec 17, 2009 - LIPA Approves the Largest Solar Energy Project in New York State
Project Environmental Review
To view PDF files you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download now
- Final Environmental Assessment (PDF)
- Executive Summary (PDF)
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- 1: Introduction (PDF)
- 2: Description of the Proposed Action (PDF)
- 3: Existing Environmental Conditions & Impacts (PDF)
- 4: Cumulative Impacts (PDF)
- 5: Alternatives (PDF)
- References (PDF)
- Exhibit A (PDF)
- Appendix A - Full Environmental Assessment Form (EAF) (PDF)
- Appendix B- Agency Correspondence (PDF)
- Appendix C- Project Equipment Data (PDF)
“The enXco Solar Carport
project demonstrate how unique public-private partnerships
can benefit our energy future while creating jobs and
strengthening our local economy. These ground-breaking
projects reaffirm LIPA’s commitment to clean renewable
technology and energy efficiency on Long Island, and we look
forward to the creation of future projects of this scale"
LIPA COO, Michael D. Hervey.