Specifications & Requirements for Electric Installations
The Long Island Power Authority’s Specifications and Requirements for Electric Installations, “The Red Book," is a document that is intended to be utilized by the Electrical Contractor community as a reference for the installation of electric service to LIPA’s customers. The Red Book is a collection of information and specifications, which provide a general guideline to the Electrical Contractor and assures that any work performed involving LIPA’s electrical distribution system is completed in a safe and reliable manner.
To view PDF files you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download now
LIPA Redbook Addendum
The recent events of Hurricane Sandy have revealed the need to amend the Redbook. Please review the link below.
Section 2 added a definition for Authority Having Jurisdiction and Section 1.8 was modified to clarify responsibilities during a major event (PDF)
- Download the complete "Red Book" (PDF - 4MB)
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1: Introduction (PDF)
- Chapter 2: Definitions (PDF)
- Chapter 3: General Information and Requirements (PDF)
- Chapter 4: Service Connections (PDF)
- Chapter 5: Service Equipment (PDF)
- Chapter 6: Service at 480Y/277 Volts (PDF)
- Chapter 7: Grounding (PDF)
- Chapter 8: Revenue Metering (PDF)
- Chapter 9: Motors and Controllers (PDF)
- Chapter 10: Special Provisions/Special Equipment (PDF)
- Chapter 11: General Drawings and Standards (PDF)
- Chapter 12: Zoned Underground and Secondary Network Areas (PDF)
- Registration Card (PDF)
It should be noted that this document is not a complete set of rules governing the installation of electrical wiring and equipment. It simply presents LIPA’s general rules for working with the electric distribution system. LIPA’s representatives are always available to resolve any questions that may arise involving this type of work.